Sunday, November 9, 2008

State Of The Dude, Part I

It's been a week. I've got a few updates. First of all, I want to amend the recipe for the cornbread. Basically, make it two eggs instead of one. You're welcome to take down the milk a little, too...say 3/4 cup?
So I just got off the phone with He-man in good ol' San Fran. The big man's doing well. I'm sure he's got some more great artwork going up soon. Check it out. Speaking of Will, he mentioned I should try making jalapeno and cheese cornbread. Being the genius I am, I forgot to get jalapenos so I'll have to remember that when I go out tomorrow.

Gears of War 2 came out on Friday. Of course I had to get a copy of that. I gotta say it's pretty impressive. The weapons are all really great. The GOW2 team even revamped all the old ones so they perform more realistically, yes including the chainsaw machine gun. I haven't run into all the new weapons yet, but I have gotten to play with the flamethrower and shoot mortars. The monsters are more badass than before and they actually come in hoardes rather than half dozen hanging out in a room or hallway enjoying some coffee and scones. Another great thing about the game is the graphics and environments. The game employs the Unreal 3 engine with a few modifications made to it. Not much else to say except that it's a lot of fun to play. I'm still playing the campaign and working out some network issues (see next post).

Saturday we ran another 5K. This time we didn't have to get up before the sun and head out of state. The whole race was 15 minutes away at the local VA which hosted the fundraising event. The run was actually a lot of fun. What I mean to say is the area in which the run was held was a lot of fun to run in. The run itself made me wonder why I do these things in the first place. Out of a few hundred, I placed 89th coming in at just over 26 minutes. My first mile was about 8:05, the second mile was 16:40, and the third finished at just over 26. As you can tell, my mile times dwindled as the race went on, moreso between miles 2 and 3. Perhaps that was due to the lack of training or all the candy I've had to eat since Halloween drew to a close. The other reason was that by the time mile two was over, I didn't feel like running much longer. Some people from work and I are talking about a 10K come May, so we'll see how that goes.

So I had a little more here but I got tired of writing so I'll make another post tomorrow or sometime in the next couple of days.

2 comments:

Cordell said...

Scones? Sounds dashing, good fellow.

Dom Z. said...

Yeah, GOW2 is pretty fun to play. More fun for the Hoarde mode and stuff, I think; the story mode was OK, but there was one thing that really bothered me about it. Namely the moment where a character said the words "More like _ten_ shitloads." That's insultingly bad writing. I know we don't always play games for writing yet, but I feel like GTA4 raised the bar (though it too has stupid moments). Tycho, from Penny Arcade, whined about it in a little more detail and wordiness:

http://www.penny-arcade.com/2008/11/10/