Friday, July 25, 2008

Lawnboy, The Weapon Of Choice

I'm posting this in the middle of the vacation ones because it's just too funny not to talk openly about.
I've got Gabe's mower, and it's a beast. I needed a mower because the yard here was turning into a jungle again. If you remember, I destroyed mine by trying to mow the pipe in the front yard. Moving on, Dom put a call in to his dad and a few hours later, I had a borrowed mower. It looks something like this.
Another part of my acquisition was a couple cans of starting fluid. Part of the instructions included the following:
  • Prime the engine with the fuel switch off (to choke it)
  • Use another switch to turn the spark plug on (yes it has its own switch). It's also how you turn the mower off. By the way, this didn't always work. I had to kill the fuel once after waiting 10 seconds for the engine to stop firing.
  • Pull the starter cable until the engine sputters
  • Turn the fuel switch 1/2 way - full on
  • Continue working the starter cable
  • If it doesn't work, administer the starting fluid and try again
After some finnagling with getting it started, the mower ran pretty well...aside from the occasional smoking problem when mowing.

The other important (and funny) thing to note is the absence of the dead man's handle. This means I could start the mower and go inside for a drink while the mower continues to run...not to mention the safety concerns involved. Furthermore, it means the mower was built before 1982 which makes it older than me. We'll pretend that with age comes reliability. Overall, the mower did a great job. For now I've got the mower until it's needed or I get mine back.

2 comments:

Dom Z. said...

man, i wouldn't turn your back on that fuckin' lawnboy. you start that beast up and leave him alone for 5 minutes, you're liable to come back and find him puttin' the moves on your air conditioner units. "Ooh, twins" he'll say, and next thing you know you'll have a litter of immobile lawnmowers that have cold exhaust.

wc said...

on the upside, they could be reared in the garage which would take care of the heating problem in there.