Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Have Turkey Will Gravy-fy

After spending some time on Stash's website, I thought I'd contribute to society by putting up recipes and such once in awhile. That said, let's start with a dish that's all about leftover turkey. Of course, you can make turkey just for this, but it's really more of a "this will do" recipe. To summarize, you take turkey and make gravy with it. The addition (dare I call it a pairing?) is sweet potato fries, just not fried. Let me explain. I grew up where I can count the number of times we ate out in a year on less than both hands; the majority of which were special occassions. Not to say that we didn't eat well...hardly. This meal goes back to the homely ones that, as a kid, I thought had such a creative spin so it was more than just "leftovers." The other half came from a restaurant where Kelly had sweet potato fries (deep fried of course) and I thought, "Hell I can do this better." What's more, it goes fantastically with my down home cookin' idea. Now to the food.

Turkey Hash and Sweet Potato Fries Ingredients:
Turkey
A Sweet Potato
1/2 Cup Flour
3/4 stick of butter (what's that?...6 TBSP)
Water, about 3 cups possibly more
Bread -> Toast
Seasonings

It's best to start the sweet potatoes since they'll take time in the oven. Go ahead and preheat it to 350. While that's warming up, cut the potatoes into strips leaving the skin, like fries. Spray or brush with some oil and sprinkle with what you like. I used salt, pepper, and paprika. You'll probably add more of each when it comes out of the oven, so set it aside. Next time, I'll probably try some steak seasoning and sea salt.
Slide that into the oven on the top rack for 20 minutes, we'll be back. Next melt the butter in a pan on medium heat. When that's good, start pouring and mixing the flour into with the butter. It should be crumbly when you've got it all mixed. Let that get brown, then start pouring your water in and stirring. Personally, I started with about 2 cups and slowly went up from there to meet my consistency needs. I ended up with about 3 cups of water. You're welcome to use milk instead. Once you've got a gravy going, add your turkey. I didn't mention an amount, because as the rule goes: the more turkey you want, the more you put in. If backed into a corner and forced to tell how much turkey I used rather than hand over my wallet, I'd have to say between 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 cups. Salt and pepper it to your tastes and let everything marry.
By now the fries should be almost done in the oven. When the 20 minutes are over, put the heat up to 385 for about 10 minutes. Afterwards, they should be crisp on the outside and done on the inside. For plating, cover a few pieces of toast with the turkey hash and lay it next to a pile of fries.

No comments: