Wednesday, June 18, 2008

10-90, 10-91

I was feeling nostalgic today about being back in college and driving the bus. I got to thinking about those late nights dealing with the drunks and freshman (who were mostly drunk). I don't think I'll ever forget some of those nights - some really good, some bad. Some of the more memorable times included:
  • The many renditions of "The Wheels on the Bus"
  • Chants of one half of the bus vs. the other half of the bus to see who was louder
  • How many times people would use anything except their student ID or fare
  • Calling out the guys who almost came to blows over absolutely nothing
  • The freshmen who came to me asking if I would drive like a maniac so they could surf (which of course I did...I couldn't resist the challenge)
  • The flashings
  • Goofing off on the radio or pulling pranks on other drivers (which was my eventual downfall from BT favor, a story for another time)
  • Halloween weekend night driving
  • The handful of times when I crammed ~100 people on my bus. Note: max capacity=80

That was just to name a few. I eventually became a Paratransit driver, which entailed taking handicapped and seniors to their destinations and back home. For the most part, this was a pleasure. Some of the nicest people I've ever met live in Blacksburg and just can't get around on their own. Other times, it was a real hassle. You could say the job had its ups and downs.

The best part about my BT experience was quitting. Sure it was the end of an era but it was just a job, not a career. My final radio traffic was heading back to base to park forever.

No comments: