Monday, June 23, 2008

Previously...

This one is a couple days late since I was busy this weekend. But to recap, Friday was the usual work day, which ended with me mowing. Saturday started with a lame morning (after a similarly lame night before) that got better once I got to Sheetz. I'm quite a fan of the iced coffees. So I got one of those and a chicken biscuit, also tasty.

Phil (Kelly's (Dom's girlfriend) dad) recommended we hike Black Rock. It's a popular hiking spot in MD that is along the Appalachian Trail. So we looked up some information and gave it a shot. Turns out the Garmins are a little iffy on the details of some points of interest, but it was good enough to get us where we wanted to go. Here, we see the route info followed by the elevation profile.
There were a number of geocaches. Unfortunately I was unable to find any since we didn't know the exact path we were going to take and I didn't read any of the hints for them. So I plan to go back and find the geocaches and do some more rock climbing next time.

Sunday Kelly and I went to Harrisonburg to have dinner with my family. Beforehand we saw Get Smart. It was nostalgic for me, since I watched the old show on Nick at Nite as a kid. Dinner went well and we ran up a nice bill for Reo, which was due to my mom's customer service skills (go mom!).

3 comments:

Dom Z. said...

I feel like at least on these hike ones I should chip in my $0.02, since I'm generally there for most of it.

This hike, while very close to Greenbrier State Park, was way better. Both Annapolis Rocks and Black Rock afford nice north/west views; a good sunset is likely if you're camping. If you're a psycho like Wayne, or if you feel like lugging up rope, the climbing looks to be cool. I personally have no interest in that shit. I'm already on top of the rocks; I can see it all; why do I need to climb?

Also, we each brought bug spray on this hike, which helped it along immensely. Wayne also brought along a "revolutionary" new tool for emergency ass-wiping, which was toilet paper with two rubberbands around it. Apparently the second rubber band was revolutionary. Aptly, I felt this statement indicated he was full of shit.

Just a side note - I have hiked with Wayne quite a bit now. In that time, probably 60-80 hours of hiking, neither one of us has ever had to crap on the trail. Maybe it's just luck, but I wonder if it has to do with perspiration or something. One of those nasty questions I'd still like to know the answer to.

I'd also like to know what's up with the POIs on the Garmins. Annapolis Rocks was .18 miles off, which is nothing in a car but created a small argument for us on foot. Of course, Wayne eventually came around to the idea that the _real_ Annapolis Rocks was in fact the beautiful rocks on which we were standing, and not some shitty clump of trees off in the distance. But he had me going there for a while. I wonder if there is some calibration that needs to be done with the topo map. I know the compass needs constant calibration (spin in a circle twice, it looks ridiculous).

wc said...

speaking of calibration, perhaps calibrate your attitude to appreciate my double rubber band design. i remember last year i wasted many good squares because the TP (or shit paper as pa pa called it) wasn't properly bound together and became unusable.

JamesF said...

Can't comment on the double rubberband, but I did see Get Smart and liked it a lot more than I thought I would. I too was a fan of the old show as I would watch it just about every day back in the day when it was in syndication and I was killing time after a rousing day of elementary school.