Saturday, June 28, 2008

Sometimes There's A Man


Think back to this past Monday. Yes, I know it's now Saturday and I'm behind.


It was my day off and I decided to go hiking again. It was my first solo hike of the season. I went to the Bull Run Mountain Conservancy in the good ol' South.

I was able to take Kelly's camera to get some pictures.

BRMC is a protected area for the local mountains, wildlife, and vegetation. It provides research opportunities for those interested and population monitoring for some of the species found within the 800 acre preserve. As far as the wildlife goes, I spent most of the morning scaring the hell out of chipmunks and the local woodpeckers. But along the way I was able to take some good shots.



The first two were some historical places, #1: The Beverly Mill, placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1742. #2: The burial site of William Dawson. #3: A turtle that was right in the middle of the trail.


These last two were of some pretty good rock climbing locations (prohibited, of course). The highest point on my elevation profile was where I reached the highest spot on the rock. I was also able to find a geocache, as you can see in my route picture.
I skipped a section that takes you to an old quarry...not much happening there. I also took a shortcut down some railroad tracks to cut my last mile or so down into a half mile. You can see where I made that little cheat in the lower right hand side of my route picture. I went 6.7 miles, and I was out there roughly 4 hours. Part of that was due to the rock climbing, taking pictures, and looking for the geocache. All in all, I felt like it was a good hike and would probably go back with a group.

1 comment:

Dom Z. said...

"Now this story I'm about to unfold here took place back in the early 90s, just about the time of our conflict with Saddam and the Iraqis. I only mention it...cause sometimes, there's a man - I won't say hero, cause what's a "hero?" - but sometimes, there's a man. And I'm talkin' about The Dude here. Sometimes there's a man who, well, he's the man, for his time an' place. He fits right in there. And that's the Dude, in Los Angeles."