Monday, October 20, 2008

5K

4:30 AM came and I gave serious thought to letting it go, too. Before the sun, we got up and hit the road. We ran into Stacey and Travis on the road, got called slow because of that, and soldiered on. We missed the turn for the Park & Ride, but ended up getting a better place that we were able to walk to when the race was over. So we started the run a couple minutes after 8 AM and the sun had barely been out for 30 minutes. Kelly and I were together for the first two miles, then I decided I wanted to get the race over with. In all, I huffed my way to a 28 minute 5K. Not bad I suppose and it was under the 30 minute absolute max I set for myself. The race itself was cool. One thing I gotta say, DON'T START WALKING WHEN SOMEONE IS RUNNING RIGHT BEHIND YOU. I swear this happened to me twice. First of all, their pace wasn't enough to keep up with inflation. Secondly, YOU'RE IN A RACE. Once it was over, I snapped a few shots (not of us).

The following were taken on the way back home. They were taken while we were still in Maryland. Unfortunately, time in Virginia felt like 15 seconds so I wasn't able to work the camera fast enough.

2 comments:

Maria Sondule said...

I agree, you should NOT start walking when someone is running right behind you. The best thing is to be in the back, in my opinion. (which is why I don't run races) That doesn't happen very often, though.

Dom Z. said...

I already mentioned this to Wayne, but for any others that are interested, his last picture actually is the view from the VA-MD 340 bridge in Harper's Ferry. From that angle you can see all three states, VA, MD, and WV. VA is on the right, MD on the left, and WV off in the middle, where the buildings are - those buildings are Harper's Ferry. Foliage is really nice this week, too.