Saturday, October 18, 2008

Could've Been a Gull in a Clipper's Wake

As updates go, this one is par for the course with a few exceptions. Part I is all about work. Work is roughly the same. Our deadline sits with dark clouds looming as all our plans show completion time being long long after it's supposedly due. I can't tell you how I feel when I'm on a support call and I get to say, "oh that issue...yeah all of a sudden it's not a big deal with our customer. Why you ask?..." The call goes on from there, but I've uttered those words on more than one occasion.
Part II is about home. As home goes, things are changing in the garage. I finally bought a toolbox so we can get stuff together and organized. My need to have a space to do my tinkering/listen to music/maybe start playing music again made the reorganization an inevitable endeavor.
So I've got my old PC speakers out there with my laptop, tools, and archery equipment. The dogs usually run in and out of the laundry room and perform pest control (no rats yet!). Even though I've got no pictures, I'm currently trying to figure out why my old disc changer stopped working. I'm not sure how far I'll get, but I've got the space to work on it now. Hopefully I don't fry it (or myself) trying to work with AC -> DC power. I'll get to that after hooking it back up in the truck and listening to it in operation, or a lack thereof. Let this be the first of many projects. It's a work in progress. Maybe I'll have a place to start making wax bullets of my own.
Part III is music. I got Clutch's live recordings album Full Fathom 5. It's definitely an enjoyable piece of auditory literature. The album features music all the way from 1995 to their latest release, From Beale Street to Oblivion. Unfortunately, there's nothing new on the album like we heard at the concert in Richmond. I'm sure the DVD does, but I doubt I'll get that anytime soon.
Part IV is where the computer nerd in me comes out. After talking to the Dominator and doing some research, I'm going to flash our wireless router with DD-WRT. It's a 3rd party utility that should provide more features than the Linksys default. Unfortunately, I can only use their micro- version since our router only has 2 MB of flash memory. I'll post the outcome of this little venture in an upcoming post.
Part V is the future. Tomorrow, we're trekking to Hunt Valley, MD to run the 2008 Race for the Cure. Good ol' 5K at 8 AM and it'll take almost 2 hours to get there. Anyone else fail to see the logic in driving 2 hours to run a race that takes less than 30 minutes? The donations are for a great cause and I must say we always have fun running with all those other people. So come the next few days, I'll have a post for that.

No comments: