Sunday, October 26, 2008

Seeing Double

Let me start with yesterday. We had breakfast with a few friends of ours at Cracker Barrel. We haven't seen Scott and Beth in awhile, so it was good to catch up. We touched on all kinds of topics such as houses, school children, a little bit about work, the stock market and financing in general, and old tv/movies. After leaving there, we got our usual errands done: store, lowes, etc. After spending some time at home, we braved 81N and went for Hagerstown. There, we met with Kelly's grandmother at, take a guess...Cracker Barrel! In all, everything I ate on Saturday came from Cracker Barrel. She originally had picked Moutain Gate, but changed her mind. So after battling my way through many plates of Cracker Barrel, we wished Grandma B a happy birthday and came home. I spent most of the evening afterward installing some small shelves in the garage and some general maintenance. Check out the stunning pictures of The Garage, Round 2:

I spent some time today doing the last of my research and preparation for dd-wrt. After talking to Dom about a similar piece of 3rd party router software (Tomato), I did some digging and learned about my router. I found out it's a newer generation Linksys WRT54G. Oh, newer generation, I'm thinking great this should be able to handle anything. Tomato should go on no problem.
Wrong.
As it turns out, newer generation just means 'what are the absolute basic features we can cram onto 2 MB of flash memory?' See, the older models came with 4 MB and some even with 8. Perhaps they process data at a faster rate and while that's fantastic, it's still no reason to stiff your customers and give them only the bare necessities. So, needless to say, Tomato wouldn't work for me. That's when I learned about dd-wrt. It comes in many flavours, one of which being the micro version, which fits on 2 MB flash memory. So after successfully flashing the thing, I couldn't get on the internets. I thought...wtf!? So after screwing around and connecting to other wireless networks in the area it dawned on me that I needed to do a hard reset of the cable modem. I cycled the power on it, but that was no help. What makes me feel stupid is I KNEW that a hard reset is required but somehow I let it escape my steel trap mind. Nevertheless, I'm now running a solid install of dd-wrt micro.


1 comment:

wc said...

i should probably mention that the stuff in front of the garage door is meant to keep the dogs in. that way i can have the door open and let them run around and hunt for the mice we don't have.